The new version of Visual Studio will come with dramatically new installer, which will allow that you install only stuff you need, without gigabytes of unnecessary never used components. Current version of Visual Studio which is Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 is coming with nearly 8GB installation file. This is to much for the installer, you need special condition when you want to download the installation file. I am doing it by night, when I am sleeping. In some condition the installation process takes an hour to install everything you have specified.
In the next version the installation process will be changed and if you want to see and feel how the future visual studio installer will look like you can download the preview of the Visual Studio vnext code name "Visual Studio 15" at this link.
If you try to install Visual Studio 15 preview 3, it will take less than 5 minutes, with very simple installer. In the next five pictures whole installation process is completed.
After you download the installer, run it and the following pictures will appear:
- First picture is asking to confirm the installation process:
2. The next picture shows the progress of loading installer
3. The next picture is the main picture which you can select what to install. The whole Visual Studio installer is devided in to the development groups:
- Core Stuff of the Visual Studio- this component is required for all developer group
- There are for now 4 installer groups: .NET, C++, Python, Game dev.
- The more will come later.
4. After you select right developer group/groups installation process starts by pressing Install button.
5. After the installation process is completed, the following picture appear, which you only need to close by pressing the Close button at the right top edge of the window.
As we can see the next version of the Visual Studio will dramatically changed the installation process, offering new simple and effective installer.
Jul 09 2016, 08:57 AM